What is PRINCE2 project management?
PRINCE2 stands for PRojects IN Controlled Environment. PRINCE2 is a method
for managing projects, which is documented in the official manual “Managing
Successful Projects using PRINCE2″. The method is owned by the Cabinet
Office, UK. PRINCE2 is very widely used and popular across the world.
The manual explains who should be involved in managing projects, what
planning work is done, which decisions are taken, when and by whom, who will
deliver the products, who should make decisions on changes and issues, what
reporting should be done, by whom, to whom and when, what project
documentation should be created, when, by whom and what information the
document should contain. And that’s not all. it also offers essential
knowledge, coverage on core project management areas such risk management,
change management, planning, business case, project team organization
structure, managing project quality and monitoring and control.
|Featured Videos||Free Trainings – What is PRINCE2?|
|See More…||See More…|
The PRINCE2 structure has 4 integrated elements:
1. Principles – the good practices that should be applied for managing projects
2. Themes – the basic know-how, understanding of project management
3. Processes – the step-by-step way of managing projects
4. Tailoring – customizing PRINCE2 to meet your project specific needs
So how does it help me manage my project better?
By providing a structured framework that helps you.
- Repeat success
- Predict outcome
- Scale according to project size and complexity
Here are the top 10 benefits of using PRINCE2:
1. Driven by Business Case to justify project investment
2. Defined roles, responsibilities and organization structure
3. Stakeholder integration, engagement and communication guidelines
4. Step-by-step process of planning, managing, directing and delivering project
5. Setting up tolerance to effectively use management time
6. Product-based planning to help determine project scope and deliverables
7. Manage by stages for better control and decision making
8. Project management templates offer structured documentation
9. Learn from experience to improve project management methodology
10. Tailoring guidelines to suit your project and organization needs
Is there any eligibility for attending the certification exam?
Not really, You don’t have to write exam application or have mandatory
project management experience. PRINCE2 qualification is meant for both
beginners and experienced project managers. It is focused on building skills
and competencies of those involved in project management work and not just
Project Manager. So, if you are a Project Manager, Team Leader, Sponsor,
Supplier, User, Project Management Office staff, Quality Assurance, Test
Manager, Customer or a key project stakeholder then this course definitely
The PRINCE2 Foundation certification exam tests the delegate’s knowledge
about project management concepts and key PRINCE2 terms. The objective is to
ensure that the delegate understands key terms, principles, processes,
themes, roles and management products defined in the PRINCE2 manual.
Foundation exam qualification format :
- Objective style exam
- Closed book
- Exam duration 1 hour
- Total 75 questions
- 5 questions road tested and not used for scoring
- You need 35 to pass the foundation exam
How do I take the Foundation certification exam?
If you are attending the projectingIT’s classroom course, then you will take
the foundation exam at the end of day 2 of your PRINCE2 classroom course.
You can choose between paper based exam and online computer based exam.
Delegates who take the projectingIT’s PRINCE2 online e-Learning training
course or PRINCE2 Live online virtual instructor-led training course can
take the course from anywhere, office or home, using the remote proctor exam
PRINCE2 Practitioner certification exam – is an evaluation to confirm you have achieved sufficient understanding of how to apply and tailor PRINCE2 in a scenario situation. The only pre-requisite to take up PRINCE2 practitioner exam is that you should have successfully cleared PRINCE2 Foundation Certification Exam.
Practitioner exam qualification format :
- Objective testing
- 8 questions – 10 question items per question, each worth one mark
- 44 marks or more required to pass (out of 80 available) – 55%
- Two-and-a-half hours (150 minutes) duration, no additional reading time
- Open book exam (official PRINCE2 manual only).
How do I take the Practitioner certification exam?
APMG PRINCE2 Practitioner exam is available as paper based exams or online also.
How does ProjectingIT help me prepare and pass the PRINCE2 certification
- Concise summary notes to rapid reading
- 2 sample PRINCE2 foundation exam paper with mock questions for practice
- Classroom exercises, interaction, quizzes and assignments
What is the difference between PMP certification and PRINCE2 certification?
Which certification is better? PMP or PRINCE2?
Both the certifications hold equal values. Both the certifications add a lot of value to your portfolio for career growth.
- PMP is based upon the PMBOK, which is a Standard, NOT a methodology. It contains a truck load of processes and ‘generally accepted’ techniques of project management by which to evaluate or complete the way you run your projects or the methodology you use. It is therefore more theoretical, a reference guide.
- Prince2 on the other hand is a methodology, with a detailed process model and templates. It gives a step by step guidance on how to organise and run a project. It is more practical than the PMBOK. It still needs to be tailored to your needs but it is more a manual than a reference guide. It focuses on just a limited set of techniques.
* Candidate who Pass PRINCE2 Certification Exam can get listed on the APMG International PRINCE2 Successful Candidate Register